CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Importance of a Schedule.

For those of you that know me, really know me, you know I have struggled with getting the right balanced schedule up and running. This week I have come to realize on a more spiritual and nurturing level just how important scheduling and routines are.

I was reading some blogs on Monday, especially the one I recently started following, too many kids in the bathtub, reading some past posts. I found myself pulled to THAT level of organization, without the aid of a hired hand assisting, and to that level of CALM. I have a lot going on at any given time, and it's hard to keep up if I'm not doing the right balance, and some weeks it seems that the whole balancing act is so teetering that I come very close to breaking a few proverbial dishes. So I read on. I do FLY Lady, and it really has helped TONS, but I found myself trying to do all or nothing, no matter how I tried to pace myself. Her system isn't flawed, it's just my impatience with myself. But anyway, on Monday I wrote up a routine on the white board I used many months ago for the Letter of the Week program (Although I no longer use it, I highly recommend it for new to home schooling mothers with very young children). I'm so proud of myself. I've gone a full 5 days of sticking to my routine and yet still being able to do things like a spontaneous errand in the afternoons.

We are still working on the bed time thing, but I've been waking them up promptly at 7:00 am, with an immediate breakfast (we'll see if that adjusts at all in time). I got them dressed complete with hair and teeth by 8:00, which was morning chores/clean up time. School starts at 9. Before their schooling, I'm sad to admit was hit and miss, and more miss than hit. This week we schooled Tues-Friday, although I am planning on doing it Mon-Saturday, with Saturday only being a light review day. I know, I'm an evil mom. I'm schooling my kids throughout the summer, 6 days a week. And the oldest child is 4 years old.

And how are they handling the summer being "stolen"? They are loving it! I decided today would be a treat, and no school today, so we did our review day yesterday. Tonight at scripture study they told me they "wanted to go to school tonight". E is making sure progress on her phonics, which is really heartening since they really weren't sticking before. Her numbers are getting there, and counting is more accurate. Shapes are better, as are the colors. C is having a bit more of a hard time, as he is resisting bedtime the hardest and he keeps getting timeouts during class time for disruptive behavior. I will be watching to see how/if that improves as the schedule becomes more routine. RB is also doing better with shapes and colors, (not focusing as much on phonics seeing as too how young she is). They are better behaved all around and get more outside time as a result.

The best result: I'm doing a much better job of being a decent Christian, and a decent mother. I am somewhat calmer, and feel more put together. Even though my house isn't too much cleaner, it feels more loving, kind, and tidy in an odd sort of way. Life is good.

0 comments: